And, so, I am now offiically in my 40’s. That’s a lot of living under the belt. The very first CD “we” (my hubby) bought was The Simpsons Sing The Blues… I am not ashamed. I still have an awesome collection of Vinyls with really good music on them.
I will never forget the exact moment when I first heard Rock Me Amadeus by Falco or literally danced like no one was watching to Cyndi Lauper’s Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.
School was bearable because of the rebellious tracks like We’re Not Going To Take It (Twisted Sister), Burning Down The House (Talking Heads), Fight For Your Right (Beastie Boys) and Wild Thing (Tone-Loc).
Then there were all those ice rink favourites – Owner of a Lonely Heart (by Yes), Gloria (Laura Branigan), Dolce Vita (Ryan Paris) and Xanadu (Olivia Newton-John).
Do you remember the Anthems such as the themes to St Elmo’s Fire, Up Where We Belong, Celebration and even Dolly Parton’s 9-5? How about this one;
Bette Midler’s The Wind Beneath My Wings, Heaven is a place on earth (Bellinda Carlisle), Right Here Waiting (Richard Marx), Total Eclipse of the heart (Bonnie Tyler) and Somewhere Out There were songs that I remember crying to over a broken heart… Sigh…
By now you are clearly aware that I am a child of the 80’s and most of my favourite songs all come from that era too (you know – “the good old days”).
My Top 40 Songs To 40
In no particular order:
- Lullaby – The Cure
- Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) – Eurythmics
- Brown Eyed Girl – Van Morrison
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s – Deep Blue Something
- Route 66 – Depeche Mode
- Sweet Child ‘O Mine – Guns ‘n Roses
- Nothing Else Matters – Metallica
- Iris – Goo Goo Dolls
- Who Wants To Live Forever – Queen
- Every Breath You Take – The Police
- Time After Time – Cyndi Lauper
- Don’t You (Forget About Me) – Simple Minds
- When Doves Cry – Prince
- Bette Davis Eyes – Kim Carnes
- Every Rose Has Its Thorn – Poison
- Down Under – Men At Work
- Love Bites – Def Leppard
- Africa – Toto
- Against All Odds – Phil Collins
- Say You Say Me – Lionel Ritchie
- It’s Raining Men – Drew Paul
- Take On Me – A-Ha
- She Drives Me Crazy – Fine Young Cannibals
- The Reflex – Duran Duran
- Need You Tonight – INXS
- The Warrior – Scandal
- Blue Monday – New Order
- In The Air Tonight – Phil Collins
- Everybody Wants To Rule The World – Tears For Fears
- You Give Love A Bad Name – Bon Jovi
- It’s The End of the World As We Know It – R.E.M.
- Billie Jean – Michael Jackson
- I Remember – Madonna
- Joan of Arc – O.M.D.
- Do You Really Want To Hurt Me – Culture Club
- Jessies Girl – Rick Springfield
- Too Shy – Kajagoogoo
- Sister Christian – Sister Christian
- Tainted Love – Soft Cell
- Janie’s Got A Gun – Aerosmith
I know I’ve left a lot off this list but these were the first ones that came to mind. There must be some truth in that for me.